My Trip(s) to Pearl Harbor



Pearl Harbor is the most visited tourist attraction on the island of Oahu. I have been there 3 times. Yes you read that correctly...3 times!  I have valid reasons though. 


I went with my husband in 2007 soon after we arrived on the island.









One of my friends came to visit in April 2008 and I went again.









My mom and sister visited January 2010 and I went yet AGAIN!!








Honestly, it didn't get old. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am a huuuuuge history buff. I absolutely love learning about new things dealing with culture and history. I taught fifth grade history before we moved to the island, so when I found out that we were coming here it was on the top of my list of things to do.


It is a rare treasure, but somber. My heart was extremely heavy knowing that I was standing about hundreds of men entombed below me. It struck me even harder being that my husband is a soldier. If you ever come to this island please go see this memorial.



4 comments:

  1. Remember Pearl Harbor -- Keep America Alert!

    America's oldest living Medal of Honor recipient, living his 101st year is former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, U. S. Navy (Ret.). He is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, "The Day of Infamy", Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

    (Now deceased) 'Navy Centenarian Sailor', 103 year old, former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Radioman (ACRM, Combat Aircrewman), later wartime commissioned Chief Warrant Officer Julio 'Jay' Ereneta, U. S. Navy (Ret.), is a thirty year career veteran of World War One and World War Two. He first flew aircrewman in August 1922; flew rearseat Radioman/Gunner (1920s/1930s) in the tactical air squadrons of the Navy's first aircraft carriers, USS LANGLEY (CV-1) and USS LEXINGTON (CV-2).

    Visit my photo album tribute to these centenarian veteran shipmates and other Pearl Harbor Survivors:

    http://news.webshots.com/album/123286873BFAAiq

    http://news.webshots.com/album/141695570BONFYl

    San Diego, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha I live on Oahu too and feel so blessed to live here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tetvet68...thanks for the info! I will defiinitely visit your photo album tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mom's Best Bets...wow you live here also?....love your site!!

    ReplyDelete